Join The RTR Vehicles Team
3D Hard Surface Modeler
A young, dynamic, and rapidly growing entrepreneurial business with activities in the automotive aftermarket industry is looking to strengthen its team with an experienced 3D Hard Surface Modeler. In this position, and as part of the New Product Development (NPD) team, you will be reporting to the NPD Director, and be responsible for bringing to life parts and vehicle packages envisioned by the Creative Director while maintaining manufacturing and installation feasibility. The duties of this role will contribute to the first step of the design and release process for new products in the RTR Vehicles catalogue. Does this sound like you? This is a full-time position, based at the company’s Concord, NC area facilities.
With over ten years of experience as an OEM+ aftermarket company, and through our Strategic Partnership with the Ford Motor Company, RTR products provide a unique blend of styling and functionality of the highest quality, providing an unrivaled experience to customers all over the world. RTR products are sold to dealers, wholesale distributors, and end consumers.
As a 3D Hard Surface Modeler for RTR Vehicles, you will be responsible for conceptual design work and 3D surface creation that will be fed into the larger NPD team for further development. Our company is looking for an experienced hard surface modeler, ideally with a background in the automotive industry, who can quickly jump into and work closely with the growing NPD team. The ideal candidate has experience interpreting design sketches and conceptual discussion from other artists and can demonstrate the ability to convert those inputs into high fidelity, class A surfaces for later use in part development and mold making. Specifically, the chosen candidate will be responsible for:
- Interpretation of design sketches and concepts from the Creative Director
- 3D modeling of high-fidelity class A surfaces that are true to design briefs
- Ensuring compatibility with pre-existing surrounding parts of vehicles to be modified with designed parts
- Early development of water-tight solid 3D models and mounting features
- Presentation of design concepts to internal and external customers via screen sharing and renderings
- Integrating with engineering members of NPD team for design and manufacturing feasibility
- Communication and feedback to tooling vendors if surfacing changes are required for manufacturing
- Oversight of prototyping and tooling process to ensure that final products stay true to original design
- Maintaining project documentation as required by RTR NPD Processes
- BS/MS in 3D Hard Surface Modeling or 3D Design
- 5 years of prior experience in surface modeling and conceptual design roles
- Proficient with Autodesk Alias and Microsoft Office 365 Suite
- Fluent English speaker
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Passion for cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc, outside of the working day
- Strong work ethic
- Attention to detail in a fast-paced environment
- Good communication skills, both internal to engineering and externally to other groups
- Personal interest in the automotive industry
- Able to work well in a group setting, but capable of managing projects individually
- Furthermore, the ideal candidate will also be able to begin development of mounting points, brackets, and other B-side details of the parts ahead of handing the projects over to the engineering portion of the NPD team
- Full time salaried position
- Health insurance
- Company paid PTO plan
- Employee purchase discount
RTR Vehicles is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, "protected statuses"). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.